Sunday, August 16, 2009

Return to Geek Mountain

or rather that should be "from Geek Mountain", as I have just come back from a weekend at Gen Con.

For those of you who don't know, Gen Con is a gigantic gaming convention that takes place every year. It goes for four days and, to me, it's about as exciting as Christmas. This was something I used to do with my dad each year, but I hadn't been going for a while for obvious reasons. In any case, this year I decided to change that and I went off to Indianapolis with Amelie and my mom in tow.

And it was awesome. While some things were different from the way I remembered them, I had a great time. I got to get back to my gaming roots and truly geek out for a few days. I openly spoke about D&D (something that I don't play but enjoy hearing about), I played many a game, and I spent a fair sum of money in the exhibit hall on a few games that happened to tickle my fancy. One of these purchases was for the "Penny-Arcade Card Game" which, yes, is created after the famous online comic. This just gives an example of the stuff you can find at the Con. Also a little side note about my purchase: the game won't be released to the public for a few weeks, which makes it that much cooler.

Another aspect of this weekend was getting the opportunity to attend a few seminars, one of which focused on creating web comics. It gave me a lot of ideas as to break onto the scene, as well as maintain discipline in getting stuff done. So, once again, I am toying with the idea of making a comic. I'll have to see where that goes, but if anyone has any ideas or would like to help, let me know, ok?

Oh, and one other thing: while at the Con, I got to talk with Ryan Sohmer and Lar DeSouza, the creator and illustrator (respectively) of Least I Could Do, which happens to be one of my favorite comic strips. We go to talking about making comics (surprise) and I was telling them about how I was trying to get one started when they told me to send them some stuff their way so that they could look at it and see what might happen. I realize this is a long shot, but I might bounced for the rest of day after I talked to them.

And it still has the same effect.

bounce.

3 comments:

Leta said...

Dude, super awesome.

If you want any help with the webcomic thing (also, neato about the Least I Could Do guys), I'm totally there.

Anonymous said...

I actually read an advice column several years ago from an artist on the do-s and don't-s of webcomic creations...

I couldn't find it, but the ones I remember being useful were these:

1. pick an update schedule you can stick to. People will come see your comic even if you only update once a week on saturday as long as you always update once a week on saturday

2. have fun

3. buy the tools you need to make it easy and good (ie, wacom tablet, photoshop, etc)

^_^ It's really awesome that they want you to send stuff their way. Even if they don't love the comic, they might recommend it to someone to link to, which would be fantastic. They might even link to it themselves, which is free advertising. Oh, if you do make one, after a few weeks you might consider joining TWC ...when I had one it gave me some awesome traffic.

Hope it goes well

Anonymous said...

PS...you can use a website like drunk duck if you want to, but I recommend you either a. get a website template and just edit the html yourself b. use a blog format or c. make a new webpage

there's a lot of free hosting sites out there...I think one's called "black apple" But those, as a rule, are better than getting it hosted on drunkduck or the like.

^_^